Monday, September 28, 2015

Required Entry #5: Gender Roles

An individual's personality is influenced by both biological and environmental factors; culture is one of the most important environmental factors that shapes a personality. This is why male and female are separated by "gender roles". Being a girl, it is expected that my personality is associated with nurturing, passivity and subordination. But then I know that my gender won't limit me from the things I can do and would do. I believe in the saying that "gender roles are a social construct. When we attempt to assign strengths and weaknesses to either gender, we literally cut our potential as the human race in half." That is why I try to be dominant and strong as much as possible in order to prove to others that gender roles doesn't control the capabilities of anyone. On the other hand, I still see to it that my movements and the way I speak is appropriate as a female so that other people (especially boys) would respect me. In my own opinion, gender roles are just secondary when it comes to shaping one's personality. Our kind of family, the people who brought us up and our surroundings while growing still have the biggest role in what and who we are today.



No comments:

Post a Comment