Thursday, December 10, 2015

My First Semester In College

Having just about wrapped up my first semester at college, I can honestly say these last few months have been a blur. I’ve made many new friends, had a taste of freedom, and have learned the consequences of procrastination. I’ve adapted to the college boarding house life, staying up too late far so many nights and learning to rely on no one, only yourself. Now it all sinks in to me, that college is my new home yet I couldn’t find it any more cozy. I would just like to share some important lessons I've learned this far. First, time management is essential. What amazes me about time is that we each have the exact same amount. Of course, there are always 24 hours each day. What we choose to do with our time differs greatly. Some spend most of their day socializing. Others spend the bulk of their time “pretending ” to do work. Some spend their day thinking, while others spend time doing. Learning to effectively balance work, family, and friends is of great importance. Despite it’s significance, many are terrible at managing their time. Instead of taking action that yields long terms results many fill their days with lifeless activities that won’t matter the next day. I know I’ve struggled with this a great deal. Yet regardless of my struggles, I’ve seen significant improvement in being able to effectively mangage my time. Managing your time isn’t always easy. There is always an abundance of distractions to keep you off track, but learning to use your time wisely pays off down the road. One of the secrets to effectively mangage time is to focus in whatever you do. When you work, work. When you play, play. Don’t waste a moment going back and fourth between activities, but instead dive in and fully immerse yourself into what ever it is you’re doing. Granted, this isn’t always the easiest thing to do but it will profoundly help you in taking control of your day. Second thing I have learned is that freedom is a bliss and a great responsibility. One of the greatest perks of being at college is the amount of freedom you have. No one tells you what you can or can’t do. If you don’t want to go to class you don’t have to. If you want to spend your day partaking in harmful activities that is your right. If you want to just go through the motions you have the ability to do so. But with freedom comes consequences both good and bad, and when you make a decision you must accept the result. Lastly, Your reality is a result of what you choose to do or not do. Everyday you have a choice. Believe it or not, you are in complete control of your actions and thoughts. When you accept the power that comes with freedom you empower yourself to create a better world. At first the freedom of being at college was a bit overwhelming but I quickly came to grips with it. In a matter of months I matured significantly. Although I still have a ways to go, having a taste of freedom has accelerated my growth tremendously. College is a time of learning and a time of making mistakes, and in my case a lot of them. I’ve said things I shouldn’t have. I’ve done things that I know aren’t congruent with my values and I have had my days of where I just want to punch the world. I think what's best is to know that it is perfectly okay to make mistakes but of course, these mistakes are not meant to be repeated. We need to grab it as an opportunity for improvement. We are free to choose our own decisions but not its consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment